Friday, March 16, 2012

Grande Finale

After a couple weeks in Bozeman of class, stomach flu, and a visit to family, it was time to head to West Yellowstone for U.S. Biathlon National Championships.
Ahh West Yellowstone. You haven't changed a bit.
I've been lying low these last few weeks after World Juniors, and it felt weird to be heading out for another ski trip in the middle of March, especially with the grass turning green in Bozeman. Even with opting out of attending Junior Nationals in Soldier Hollow this year, I have raced 39 times so far this season, and I'm exhausted. I still have a good feeling about Biathlon Nationals though, and am ready for these three races.
The Yellowstone Uniform


It is springtime in West Yellowstone, and it has been POURING rain the entire time we've been here. Luckily there is a lot of snow, so even though everything is melting and wet, there will still be enough cover for these races.                                                                               


The first race was Thursday's Sprint Competition. The rain wasn't as violent but the course took a beating from all the water. I trudged the 7.5k to the finish, and while my shooting was decent, my speed on the skis, fueled by a week of easy recovery and soft snow, was not at all where it should have been. I knew when I crossed the line that this was probably my worst performance of the season. I was exhausted from the start, there is no other way of putting it. I'm not worried though. It's my spring break, so I am in complete biathlon mode with no distractions, and I know the more I ski these conditions the faster I will become.
Getting ready for the prone stage in the sprint. Hopefully as the week
goes on I can rely more and more on my performance outside the "zone of silence" 
It's great to see all my biathlon friends again. It's like an end of the season race-party. Best of luck to everyone in Saturday's Pursuit Competition. Hopefully the rain can subside and it freezes overnight.

1 comment:

James Dougherty said...

Does Adidas make Sou'wester hats?