Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The End...?

Since my last post, I have completed the pursuit competition, celebrated a successful Championship, and travelled the 36 hours back to Bozeman.
The Pursuit. Either my bib was too small or I am too big,
because by the end of that race it was torn to shreds.
The pursuit was great. My shooting was once again surprisingly good, and for the first few laps I flirted with advancing in placement. After a full week of racing, everyone out there was going for broke, and I was no exception. I left my heart and soul out on the course, and by the time I was finished it felt like I was skiing with a ton of bricks on my back and an elephant sitting on my lungs. I wasn’t able to improve on my 28th place earlier in the week, but I am satisfied nonetheless. I was able to halve my results from last years’ Championships, and I know I can still improve.
The final climb of the final race. After 16 times up that
famous hill, it was finally all over.
I was talking with a friend recently about my time investment in this sport , and how I spend hundreds of hours every year in aerobic and anaerobic rapture with the hope that I can perform at my fullest athletic potential when the time comes. Such a time was this past week, and while it was satisfying to see this seasons training pay off, I’ve realized that I don’t need a medal or a naming to the US team to feel like my training is worth my while. I’ve spent the last 5 years of my life seriously training for skiing and biathlon, and while I’ve had to give up some things because of my training commitment, I’ve never felt like I was missing out. My training and racing has taken me to some of the most amazing places over the years as well as introduce me to my second family. With my teammates I’ve been up mountains and through the wilderness, and through this exposure I have come to appreciate the outdoors and all of the athletic and recreational opportunities it hosts.  I’ve enjoyed the process as much as I’ve enjoyed my successes, and with this attitude I look towards next season with higher goals and greater aspirations. I happily accept another year of running, biking, rollerskiing, shooting, medicine ball hurling, and whatever else this year throws at me.

1 comment:

Felix said...

I like your Werder Bremen shirt