Thursday, March 21, 2013

Sam-eth the Mammoth

The Mammoth Winter Biathlon is advertised as the largest biathlon race in America, with hundreds of racers and spectators expected to congregate just east of Yosemite in Mammoth Lakes, California for a week of everything biathlon. The event is even televised by the American Trigger Sports Network, and is a stellar example of what good organization, generous sponsorship, and intense enthusiasm can accomplish for the sport of biathlon.

Every year, race organizers invite a handful of 'Elite Level' biathletes to increase depth and exposure of the event. Psshhht, how could I pass up a weekend of springtime biathlon in California?

And thus began my post-spring break vacation....

What's up Double G??!!?? San Fran layoverness
Traveling for biathlon is tricky, but there are some benefits of living in a place like Montana, where it takes 10 minutes from curbside to airgate and they look at you funny if you don't check a firearm. Even though the plane's ceiling was only shoulder height, United Airlines is still earning my future patronage. They reseated me for free to a spacious exit row when I kept hitting my head on the overhead compartments while trying to wedge myself into seat 9D. Heck yes I'll assist crew members in the unlikely event of an emergency if it means I can move my legs until then.

It feels weird to be in California on a random Thursday in the middle of second semester,
but my professors were accommodating enough to allow for this extended weekend.
The primary purpose for Mammoth is to work as an ambassador of higher-level biathlon to this large Nordic community. For the first few days, my teammates and I will help run shooting and competition clinics on the specially built live fire range as well as instruct indoor curriculum on laser rifle systems. The week will culminate in a biathlon race for all clinic participants (again, "the largest race in America"), followed by an exposition race for all of us visiting 'Elite' athletes and instructors. It will be great to reunite with my teammates that have spent the season racing in Europe, and very interesting to race them at almost 10000 feet. It's been a few years since I've raced at such an extreme elevation, but I've had the beat races of my career in this environment.

These guys in Mammoth build a 20-point range every year in less
than 4 days. Pretty sweet.
I'm very excited to get back to coaching biathlon, something I thoroughly enjoy and have missed doing. I'm using this short break from school to regain some perspective on the sport, have a little fun with some close biathlon friends, and soundtrack it all to my killer classic rock playlist.

For more info on the event and bios of the visiting elite biathletes (including me) click HERE

More posts to come...

No comments: