Sunday, March 24, 2013

Mammoth in Pictures Final Day

After helping out with the first three races of the day, it was finally our turn. As much as we all joked around as to the importance of this race, once you toe up to the line, there's only one thing on your mind: Win. We gave the spectators a good race, keeping it close until the end.
 
And thus began the hurt. This course was tough, but super fun.
 
Just like the good old days. Raleigh Goessling and I chasing down Casey Smith. We all shot well, I missing 1-1-1-3, and dropping from second to fourth on a dreadful last stage of shooting. I don't mind though. It was a beautiful day with fans all around. Life is good.
 
At first when people asked if I saw a bear on the trail, I thought they were making fun of my size. But then I saw this.
 
The elite crew at the end of an awesome biathlon weekend

Post-race cooldown. Couldn't get California Love out of my head. This is a good thing.

At least my skis made an appearance on the podium. Fourth place is no shame when it's behind these three. I've looked up to all these guys since my first year in national competition. I still don't know why Casey insisted on singing Katy Perry to the crowd from atop the podium....
After the race, it was time for the volunteer workforce to take down the range until next year. It's amazing what 30 people and a snowcat can accomplish. This puppy was gone and in storage in less than two hours. 
No caption needed
Loading up the range into the snowcat.
I can't even begin to thank everyone who made the Mammoth Winter Biathlon possible for all of us visiting biathletes. I had the most fun of my entire season in Mammoth. Not only did I get to share the sport with others, but I was able to gain perspective on what I really enjoy about biathlon and fall in love with it all over again. I woke every morning excited to be a part of this massive operation, and went to bed every night exhausted and happy from a day full of beautiful mountains, great people, and mutual love of athleticicm and friendly competition. Thank you to Mike Karch, without whom this beacon of biathlon potential would have never existed. It's my hope that other biathlon clubs in America will look at this event and the can-do attitude behind it and be inspired to reach a potential they never thought possible. Take it from me, what Mike Karch and Mammoth has done with a simple idea, elbow grease, and what seems like impossible obstacles is unparalleled at every level in this country. They have literally climbed a mountain and made their dream a reality on top of it.

I can't wait for next year.

No comments: