Monday, December 31, 2012

First World "Problems"

I went to northern Minnesota this past month for the World Junior Biathlon Trials, a race series I have always performed successfully at for the past few years, and which have qualified me for multiple international campaigns with the U.S. Junior Team. I've made many changes to my racing and training regimens this year, and went into the Minnesota competitions a little confused. Of the three races, I was only content with the Pursuit Competition, where I was able to shake off my seventh place of the day before and squeeze into second place with some more Sam-esque skiing and shooting. Needless to say I did not qualify for the U.S. Team this year.
Thumbs up for a good time in Minnesota, Thumbs down for my results.
It's times like these where I remember that I love biathlon for the entire experience,
not just for how well I do.
But instead of being disappointed, I feel a little relieved. My focus this season has been towards my nordic ability and the MSU Ski Team, as well as managing my fellow athletes through Biathlon Elite. The added stresses of missing schoolwork for international competition almost broke me last year, and this year I now have the time to continue to get faster and be ready when I'm called upon to compete in NCAA races. I'm going to continue to do what makes me happy and fix the things that don't, but in Bozeman instead of Austria.
My lone podium for the week. I'm happy to say my not qualifying wasn't a fluke,
but rather because the competition amongst juniors has elevated to an impressive level.
Minnesota gave me a much-needed amount of perspective. I've sang in the Davies Symphony Hall, I've performed beside my best friend in the Sydney Opera House. I rode a townie to school every morning on exchange in Germany, and heard Wagner in the Theater in the Round. I've been to places in the United States that only a biathlete could pin on a map. I've raced in Eastern Europe and Scandinavia, and been to most every biathlon range in the United States. I've driven from Alaska to the States with my brother, and have run up as many mountains as possible along the way. I've gotten lost and found in wildernesses across the country, and have been snowed, rained, hailed, and thundered upon during my thousands of hours in the outdoors. I'm getting a college education. I've done what I have loved since I was born.
This is Minnesota. Lakes and pop-up fishing villages. Love it.
So am I disappointed that I'm not racing in Europe this year? No. Good athletes have bad races, and I've seen and done a lot already in my life. For now I'm happy and content with training hard, getting better, and reemerging onto the radar when it really counts and when I am absolutely prepared.

Finally, I have to thank those who made my biathlon races and travels possible this year. Thank you to the Nordic Skiing Association of Anchorage, Alaska Biathlon, and the Alaska NRA for your continued interest and support of me. Thank you to Marc Sheppard and Altius for your coaching and support of me and Biathlon Elite. Thank You Methow Valley Biathlon for taking me under your wing at Trials. And thank you of course to my parents. I am extremely grateful for your belief and support.

No comments: