Monday, February 20, 2012

Race 1

Today was the Individual Competition. After a breakfast of bread, eggs, bacon, and vegetables, the Youth Men took the shuttle bus to the venue. Kantiolahti was windy as usual, and it was dumping snow. The course was incredibly soft from the wind and new snow, as well as from the Youth Women’s race earlier that day. I was sinking hard into the snow, which rather worried me.
This year the team hired Finnish wax techs. These guys did
the world cup skis last week, and we all know how fast our
men went there. Photo Judy Geer
Everything leading up to the race went smoothly. I got my rifle zeroed without complication (except for the constantly changing wind) and got my skis from the technicians with time to spare. It’s nice knowing what to expect at this level of competition, and I feel like I have an upper hand as a returning athlete from last year.
The wind and snow seemed to be at its peak of ferocity when I started. I was number 20, and it was awesome to get splits throughout the race anywhere from second to seventh place. Because the race was so long and the course so demanding, I had to dial back my ski speed if I wanted to shoot anywhere close to how I wanted to, especially in the wind. With these conditions, where I was sinking into deep powder on every push of the ski, I knew that I had to beat everyone on the range instead of on the course. I stayed relaxed and in control, and by the finish I was pooped. I love these races because everyone out there is hurting just the same, and we all want to make our country proud. It kind of gives us all an unspoken understanding of each other out there, like a fraternal bond of pain and glory.
Coming in for the finish. Super tired
In the end I got my first top-30 result, which is a career best for me. I didn’t feel amazing out there, and I definitely learned a lot about how I can save time and approach the course for the shorter races. This race serves as a good foundation for the rest of the week, and I hope to keep improving.

Immediately after my finish, I was approached by doping control, saying that I was “randomly” selected for a doping test. I’m pretty sure they just saw me cross the line at six and a half feet tall and said “that ain’t natural”. I couldn’t leave the chaperone’s sight from my finish until I provided a urine sample, so I got to know this guy really well. The Biathlon Union takes doping very seriously, even at the junior level. It took me 6 water bottles, 90 minutes, and some stationary biking to get things flowing. It’s really hard to provide a sample when a panel of anti-doping agents are watching you….

Because of doping control, I missed the bus back to the houses, so I had to hang around the venue until the evening bus. I was completely exhausted, and I passed out in the competition lounge. I awoke to a Russian coach serenading the waitstaff with some beautiful opera. We were all really impressed, and gave him a standing ovation.

So that was the Individual Competition. Next is the relay, which I am really excited about. I feel fit and fast and ready to improve.  

No comments: