Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Home on the Range

One thing I really like about biathlon is the mixture of constants and variables. It’s almost like an analogy for life (albeit simplified): You work hard to get somewhere, and once you’re there you are given a chance at perfection. The expectations are black and white, and everything is up to you and you alone. If you mess up, you get punished and it takes longer to reach that next chance. If you put in time and overcome each obstacle in stride, you’re rewarded. Otherwise you face overwhelming odds against you.

A good friend reminded me recently that there is a lot of stuff in life and in sports that I can't control, and the least I can do is focus on the things I can. Constants and variables. So I started to make a list of everything that was in my control and wanted changed or improved, from biathlon to school to skiing, and started working my way down the list.

It's not Anchorage, but it's not slowing me down any 
One of the things on my list was the biathlon range I frequent just outside of Bozeman. I've done the majority of my biathlon training at this little two point range, and I’ve grown really fond of it. It’s a good escape from the stresses of school and life, and as every biathlete knows, nothing clears the mind like shooting a gun. It takes a decent uphill ski to reach the range and it's pretty hidden from the other trails in the area, which gives it a fun remote feel. A small snow-filled canyon separates the firing line from the targets, and there's a hidden cache with snowshoes at the firing line so it's easier to trudge to the targets. There's no scope, so I'm forced to get creative with my sighting-in process (it involves a lot of snow-shoed shuttle runs). 

It's amazing what a coat of paint can do for my attitude
The range doesn't undergo routine maintenance, and for the past season I’ve been shooting at a grey target on a grey background. I decided that if I really wanted no excuses at World Juniors, I should get on that. It’s something I could control. So on Super Bowl Sunday I set out with a can of paint and some pliers and repainted the targets, realigned the prone cabling, and added some new reset line. It was pretty satisfying work, and it felt like I was shooting on a brand new range after that. 


I feel really prepared for World Juniors. I've overcome my cold symptoms and feel like I'm in the best shape of my life. It's an exciting time. I just have to keep looking forward and continue to train hard and train smart. Even though I am firstly and foremost a student, I'm proud of myself for being able to keep a healthy balance between academics and the pursuit of potential in the sport I love.

No comments: