Saturday, January 28, 2012

An Ode to a Forgotten Hero

Ski poles are a beautiful thing. They are an extension of my body, with their sole purpose in life being to make me better, faster, and stronger. They respond to my every command, and never ask for anything in exchange. They are selfless agents of athletic perfection.

Over the years my ski poles have seen the world with me. They have been my constant companion through some of the most athletically painful experiences of my life. They were at my side every step of the way to the top of the tallest mountains. They have expressed my happiness, relief, frustration, and disappointment across every finish line. They have never let me down.

But today I have let you down poles. I fell today, in the Hyalite-Bozeman Creek Time Trial, and I have broken you. And while you may be joining my poles broken of past, I will never forget you and what you have done for me.

I fell in love with you the moment I saw you in the ski shop this past December. You were 180cm of perfection, flaunting your fluorescent green and white stature. Just holding you made me feel fast, made me feel worthy. You brought me to victory at World Junior Trials, and paved the way for a comeback this January when I thought my results would only continue their downward trend. You were my responsibility, where I could and would take care of you, and let no part of you get in harm’s way. I have failed you. You were so young and full of potential.

Today in your honor I raced the remaining 10 kilometers of the Time Trial with your broken pieces safely in my grasp, using the memory of our past victories to inspire me to continue with only my legs as propulsion. We did good, and finished only seconds behind the victors. You gave me the willpower to reach a new maximum heart-rate, and push through the schorching pain my legs felt throughout the race. You will never be forgotten. I will see you again someday, I am sure of it. You might be in the form of a clever ski wind chime, and I in the form of a desperate biathlete trying to sell ski pole wind chimes to raise money for World Junior Championships and new poles. Who knows.

Farewell my poles. Farewell.   

No comments: