Saturday, December 17, 2011

Home

After almost exactly 4 months, I am home again. After a demanding finals week, I hopped on a plane and in no time was back in Alaska. It's incredible how fast air travel is. It took 7 hours to get from Bozeman to Anchorage, and after driving for six days to go the same distance those many months ago, I looked at all those impatient, stressed-out airport passengers and couldn't help but shrug.


No Place Like Home


I missed home a ton, and on the flight back I made a list of all the things I want to do before heading back to college next semester. Seeing the mountains this morning was one of the best homecoming welcomes I could imagine. It wont be long before I am up exploring them again.

Winter in Alaska is how it should be, and it seems that this may be the only place in the country right now where the skiing is literally perfect. My brother and I went and previewed Sunday's Besh Cup course out at Chugiak High School this "morning" (I forgot how dark it stays even at noon), and then I headed out to check up on my second home: Kincaid Park.


There is no shortage of snow. Gotta love it.
Skiing at Kincaid was as if I never left. The snow is deep, hard-packed, and perfect corduroy. The biathlon range, which I had missed so much, looks ready for the intense World Junior Trials competition. I am stoked beyond words to have these races on my home range.


For the next few days it will be life at its best: Racing, training, spending time with family and friends over the holiday, eating good food, and sleeping in my own bed. And those mountains... They're calling to me.

No comments: